This project was archived.
Why are we doing this?
- To improve our map! More data will allow more users to create projects and do analysis on a variety of things. How many units are located within 1,000 feet of a freeway? What's the average building age in a neighborhood? What's the tallest building on Sunset Boulevard? This data will tell you.
- To catch up with other cities. New York has buildings. Seattle has buildings. San Francisco. Portland. Even Bakersfield has buildings. L.A. County should too!
- Because a big earthquake is coming. Free and open data will assist first responders. And later it will allow folks to update the buildings with tags showing whether they have been destroyed, are dangerous or have been red-tagged.
- To improve the Los Angeles Times maps Seriously! The Times has been using and contributing to OpenStreetmap for the last four years. A large portion of their interactive web maps are based on the Quiet LA tiles. And the Times has used OSM data to do a lot of maps, including about 700 maps printed in the newspaper (with an OSM credit, of course).
- Buildings data will encourage more map edits. Once buildings are in the map, people will be able to orient themselves to the shapes, making it easier to add more data, like names or businesses.
- You can use this geo data and everything on OSM to make your own maps! You and your fellow mappers own the data. Openstreetmap's goal is the provision of free and open geographic data for the world, and it's yours to make whatever you want, like maps!
For Los Angeles City building import, details in:
- Entities to Map
- L.A. County buildings
- Changeset Comment
- Validating LA County Building Import #labuildings https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Los_angeles,_California/Buildings_Import When saving your work, please leave the default comment but add what you actually mapped, for example "added buildings and a residential road".
- You need to create a separate import account, for example,
Detailed instructions here: https://github.com/osmlab/labuildings/blob/master/IMPORTING.md
LA County Building Import #labuildings https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Los_angeles,_California/Buildings_Import
LA County GIS, http://egis3.lacounty.gov/dataportal/